Wednesday 10 November 2010

Understanding John

My Nana used to listen to John Denver. Im sure she still does, although, I believe the CD sitting in the pile in front of me may, in fact, be hers. So maybe she doesn't listen to John anymore. Either way, his melodies are synonymous with the picture in my head, of the beautiful Rockies.




SUPERIOR - CO

I had never put them on my bucket list. Colorado just wasnt THAT high up on my list of places to go, until I had people to see. My sister has been there for nearly two years now, and the very most surprising and pleasant part of my visit was really falling IN LOVE with the Rockies. I mean, really. My mouth went a little dry the first time I saw them.





LEAVING ESTES PARK

 My heart raced as we drove for hours into them. I felt a warm glow all over sitting at breakfast watching the snowy continental divide peak through the clouds. I felt an ache deep in my chest the last evening I spent in the mountains watching the most exquisite sunset. My most exciting moments of the trip were either directly about or surrounded by the Rocky Mountains.



MY FIRST VIEW OF THE CONTINENTAL DIVIDE - FROM BREAKFAST
You'd be embarrassed for me if you knew how excited I was to finally see beyond the "flat irons".



THE VIEW FROM MY BATHROOM

I felt sick in the pit of my stomach as I turned back, one last time, to look at the snow covered range at sunset as we drove into Denver International off the I25, knowing that by the time our plane took off, the sun would have tucked itself away behind them until tomorrow. By "tomorrow" I'd be in London.


The hardest part of leaving Colorado was bidding farewell to the Rockies. "BUT your SISTER!?" you yell! My sister, friends, I will see again. Probably in South Africa. Maybe in London. But its very unlikely I will see her again in Colorado. And its very probable that, like young summer love, my romance with the Rocky Mountains may live on only as a memory etched into my soul.



DANE, ME, VICKI


VICKI AND I, LAKE ESTES


I dont know what about them enraptured me so. Their majesty made me feel safe. Secure. At peace. That much closer to God.  If He could create these, and hold them in His palm, oh how safe are we beloved! On my last night He offered this up.

















In the words of dear John, cos he really did put it best - I felt I was home - to a place I'd never been before... I've seen it rainin' fire in the sky. Their shadow from the starlight, really is softer than a lullaby. And I did feel high, Rocky Mountain High.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for your comments. I'll do my best to answer questions as quickly as possibly, but with three tiny humans, it can get busy around here. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...