Monday 14 March 2011

Cakes - For a Guy

Have you ever had to make a cake for a man? All the short cuts of flowers and pearls would be lost on him. They always say "as long as it tastes good" in response to "whats important?". But I like chic. I like pretty. Making a cake masculine and still striking was something I was afraid of getting wrong. Im not a fan of those hamburger cakes or baseball field cakes, although I did once make a superhero cake for a friend's husband when he turned 30.


























This cake was for a 21st - thats a big birthday where we're from - and for a dear friend, so I didn't mind putting a bit of work into it. I used their family's coat of arms which was very sentimental for him.


Vanilla soaked sponge layered and covered in vanilla buttercream.
















Covered in mushroom coloured fondant, which I dyed by hand. 




























I piped the coat of arms on freehand using brown royal icing. I may have cursed a lot once or twice. I don't normally curse. I was quite pregnant with Asher at the time and he took great delight in kicking my "piping elbow" resting on my bump, jolting the piping bag with it.







































I loved making this cake - it was relatively quick to do, turned out masculine enough and tasted delicious. What ideas do you have for manly cakes?












































































He loved it which is the most important thing! And it did taste really good.

4 comments:

  1. i make cakes for my little men, but they usually are pleased no matter what :) this is the COOLEST cake! i should remember to make this for my husband's 30th coming this fall...he loves his family's coat of arms. love this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. how do you make the mushroom colour? i'm wanting to use it for my sons baptism cake... 3rd boy n sick of blues!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how do you make the mushroom colour? i'm wanting to use it for my sons baptism cake... 3rd boy n sick of blues!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a little big of brown gel colouring into the fondant - try a few to see which have redder / browner bases. Chestnut is sometimes too red and looks pinky. Best of luck!

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for your comments. I'll do my best to answer questions as quickly as possibly, but with three tiny humans, it can get busy around here. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...